My research showed me two important things:
- That there were people who were able to eliminate their Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- In many cases, it wasn’t the knee that was causing this condition, it was the muscles that surround and support the knee.
So, armed with this information, I set out to create an exercise program for myself that would heal and strengthen the muscles that surround and support my knee.
But, I knew it would have to be a certain type of program, or else, knowing me, I wouldn’t stick to it, and wouldn’t get the results I wanted.
I used the research I found to create a series of exercises that would be:
- easy to do (if they were complicated and difficult, I knew I would never do them)
- would require only a short period of time each day (if they took forever, I knew I would never do them)
- would be staged, so I could gradually heal and strengthen the muscles that surrounded and supported my knees, because I knew from my previous experience with other injuries, and working with clients, that staged, progressive exercise programs are the safest and most effective way to recover, and reduce and eliminate pain.
After several attempts at designing and testing the program, I finally found something that worked.
After a few weeks of doing the program, my pain had decreased significantly, and I was back to my runs, and my nightly walks with my wife - which made me very happy!
I continued doing the exercise program, and after three or four more weeks, my knee pain and my Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome were gone, and they haven’t come back since!
I was obviously excited about the results I got, and it gave me a huge part of my life back… so naturally, I wanted to start sharing this program with my clients.
It didn’t work for everyone - nothing in life does, but many of my clients were able to decrease their pain significantly or altogether, and get back to their running, walking, sports, hobbies, and active lives.